Podiatry may not seem very interesting – until you start having problems with your feet. Podiatry is the medical specialty that deals with diagnosing and treating disorders of the foot, ankle, and lower leg. Podiatrists help people with all sorts of problems, such as plantar fasciitis, bunions, hammertoes, fungal infections, and arthritis.
Unfortunately, not everyone sees a podiatrist, which can be detrimental to foot health – especially if you have an undiagnosed and untreated foot injury or condition.
Below are some podiatry facts that you might not know. Take a look to learn something new, and schedule an appointment with a podiatrist to get your foot health checked out. Feel free to share these facts with friends and family and encourage them to see their podiatrist on a regular basis, too.
Fun and Interesting Facts About Podiatry
- Podiatrists complete around 4,000 hours of study just to become qualified to treat foot and ankle problems. When it comes to foot and ankle injuries or conditions, there is no better doctor to treat you than a podiatrist.
- Your feet contain a quarter of all the bones in your body, a total of 52 bones. Each foot has 30 joints and more than 100 ligaments, muscles, and connective tissues, making up a very complex structure.
- There are 8,000 nerves in your feet, and these nerves can become damaged due to uncontrolled high glucose levels, common in diabetics.
- The feet have hundreds of thousands of sweat glands – 250,000 to be exact – that produce as much as half a pint of sweat per day. That’s why feet can be so smelly!
- When you walk, the pressure on your feet exceeds that of your body weight. When you run, your feet absorb three to four times your body weight, which is why your feet need all the support they can get from the right footwear.
- Shoe shopping is best done in the afternoon, since feet swell in the morning and you may end up with the wrong size. In addition, try on new shoes on both feet, since they can vary in size and width. If both your feet are different sizes, always go with the bigger size.
- Your feet reveal a lot about your overall health. Early signs of disease and other conditions often show up in the feet. Examples include diabetes and atherosclerosis.
- Women have four times the number of foot problems than men, largely due to more shoe choices for women prioritizing fashion over foot health, which leads to podiatric problems. That’s why podiatrists see more women than men.
Podiatry in Naples, FL
As amazing as your feet are, there are a ton of injuries and conditions that can damage them. A podiatrist can help you maintain good foot health, so you can stay on your feet pain-free.
For superior foot and ankle services, see the experts at the Joint Replacement Institute of Naples, Florida. Call (239) 261-2663 to make an appointment or use our online appointment request form. We look forward to providing for all your podiatry needs.